There Is Hope and It Can Come from Unexpected Places

A couple of weeks ago I headed to Atlanta for Retailer Training. I’m so honored to be a Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint Retailer, but to also be a Retailer Trainer for the line is such a blessing! Not only do I get to be among an elite group of retailers (and incredible people), but I also have the pleasure of being on the MMSMP Team, too!

Most people probably aren’t aware of how much planning goes into such an event like training 30 retailers: the location, the emails, the paperwork, the training guide, the catering, the meetings, and let’s not forget about the supplies. Without the supplies there is no training. Luckily the supplies shipped from Jennylyn at Homestead House Paint Co. (the manufacturer extraordinaire), which included paint, brushes, aprons, training guides, and more, arrived in Atlanta safe and sound. The boxes we sent 10 days ahead of training via UPS got hung up along the way due to “inclement weather”. Those boxes contained all of the wood sample boards that we were going to paint on. The hubby painstakingly cut and sanded all of those boards with a lot of love and patience and now his handiwork was held hostage on some UPS truck in Atlanta and no one at UPS could tell me where they were. Bum. mer.

I woke up on Saturday morning in Atlanta and after a few frustrating phone calls with UPS, I decided I needed to take matters in to my own hands. I searched online for a local Home Depot store (650 Ponce de Leon Avenue NE, Atlanta, Georgia). Having the management background that I do, with a specialty in logistics, I knew I didn’t want to head out in a taxi without knowing if there was someone there to assist me with cutting the boards once I arrived. So I called ahead of time and asked for the manager on duty and was patched through to a very nice man who was patient while I told him my plight and that I was far away from home without a saw or any way to cut boards. He said and I quote “you come on in and we’ll get your boards cut.” Awesome, I thought. Phew. I headed downstairs, hailed a cab and headed to that Home Depot (about 8 minutes away). I walked in, walked right up to the customer service desk and asked for Peter (I believe his name was). The lady paged him. He called the desk and it appeared as if she was receiving instructions. She quickly paged another man and then relayed “someone will be here shortly to take care of you.” Wow, okay. Soon a very nice man appeared, introduced himself as Cory and said “I’m here to help you.” We walked together to the lumber and I once again hand picked the wood to be cut. He warmed up the saw and got to work cutting 144 (yes 144!) 8 inch boards.

The Ironstone Nest Home Depot 1

Once the boards were cut, I knew I’d also need sandpaper to sand down all of the rough edges, so we walked over to the sandpaper and I grabbed what I needed. I then asked if I could have a box from their packing supplies department to put all of the boards in. He said “of course”. I then said I was going to call a cab. He put his hand on my shoulder and said: “No need. Home Depot is going to take care of you. We’re going to take care of all of this. On us. And we’re going to give you a ride back to your hotel.” What? I must have looked at him like he was nuts. He said “Yes, no need to pay a thing. It’s on Home Depot. We just want your trip to get better.” I began to cry. You see, this kind of thing doesn’t happen to me. The universe seems to enjoy giving me a hard time which is why it actually didn’t surprise me when my boxes didn’t arrive. Of course they didn’t! It’s sort of par for the course. But not on this day. No, on this day someone said: I WANT TO HELP YOU. A nice man and his team at Home Depot said “I want you to have a great day.”  How incredible!

The Ironstone Nest Home Depot 2

I apologize for the poor photo quality – it was on my phone

Thank you Home Depot. Thank you Peter. Thank you Cory. You made this girl’s trip much nicer, yes, thank you. And retailer training went off without a hitch. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

P.S. This is not a paid post. This is just an experience I had at Home Depot and thought it was worth sharing!

Comments

1. I love nice people! I’m so glad there are so many in this world – like you and the Home Depot staff. Thanks for sharing such a sweet story.

2. How special is that! As a retired Customer Service Director, I must say you found a gem of a group of guys! I hope you have sent a special letter to Home Depot HQ which I believe is in Atlanta, to let them know what a great team they have at that location. I’m sure you’ve done that and hope I didn’t offend by bringing that up. You were certainly blessed on that trip, and I believe well deserved!

3. Julie Bergeron says:

What an awesome, uplifting story. The way it should be…people helping people.

4. That is so good to know…thank you for sharing. We seem to only hear about “corporate” heartlessness. We have a Home Depot in our town and I will enjoy shopping there knowing they are real people with real hearts. So glad things turned out so well for you!

5. Cathy Hickman says:

Now that is AWESOME!!! So nice to hear stories like this…..good on you for sharing ?

6. Wow! I understand where you are coming from! I’m so pleased that it was your turn to be cared for!

7. Laura this is just so cool! Makes me love Home Depot even more!

8. Awesome story! Thanks for sharing! It is refreshing to know there are such wonderful people out there!

9. Guess you got a taste of Southern hospitality, Laura!
    That was a wonderful gesture by Home Depot Atlanta. I bet they felt as blessed for helping you as you did being helped.

10. It’s wonderful to hear about when things are great. We always are loud when we are upset but too quiet when we are blessed. So excited for your adventure :)

xo, Tanya

11. Shannon A says:

Home Depots go my vote now (and always kinda has)! How awesome and what a great story of how humans can be totally awesome. Makes me happy!

12. It’s really nice to know there are those people who go above and beyond the call of duty. And by your words alone of the the great service you received has done more for Home Depot than any paid commercial could ever. I will frequent them just because of the service you received. It’s also nice to know there are individuals who go that extra mile !!! Thanks for sharing you story !!!

13. Wow! There really are nice people in the world!

14. joan raines says:

Wow!!!! Home Depot here I come. Just amazing, this story. Those men just made Home Depot a lot money and deserve a raise. Raise your hand if you agree.

15. Laura, You deserve all the good things and people that come your way. I’m so glad you’re in my little town.

16. Hats off to HOME DEPOT and Peter and Cory! Looks like your luck is getting better!!! : )

17. Joanie Ellis says:

That is awesome! I know how you feel when things go astray…….just a little inspiration in a reading I read today that can relate: What happens to us is not nearly as important as what God does in us and through us.”” I loved that when I read it……so I know you like sayings, so here is one for you………..Also we had great experience with our Home Depot recently. I work for a school district, Purchasing Agent and I really DO know all that goes into those kind of training ( a LOT!) and we had a flood diasaster at the beginning of the year at some of our schools, and we live in the desert too. Anyways, Home depot helped us out and I was quite amazed and happy as they offered to bring out supplies to our schools free of charge, delivered and off the truck and asked if they could help out with anything else!! So YAY for Home depot and their efforts. There are also nice people out there amongst some that may not be so nice…………Great Day Laura! Ilove your posts!

18. Andrea D. says:

And that’s why Home Depot is the best…great people, great service. Every single HD store that I’ve been to is so customer focused. I love them. I always choose “orange”.

19. Great story and worth the share! There are good people in this world! ~Sonya

20. This is wonderful Laura – I saw it on your FB page and it’s fun hearing the entire story.
    Hooray for HD – you’ll never forget this and the gals you trained were the recipients of some great training, I’m sure!
    Hugs,
    Jan

21. Laura,
    This is one awesome story. I will be sure to pass it on to my nephew who works at the home office in Atlanta.

Blessings,
    Linda

22. Home Depot rocks! I’m so glad you shared this heartwarming story.