Vintage Sale Wrap Up

So the sale has come and gone.  I survived.  It was a close call, but I made it.  I was so exhausted leading up to the sale.  My uncle (who’s completed dozens of marathons, triathlons and two ironmans) has always said: “Training is the hard part.  The race is the fun part.”  And he’s right.  I worked tirelessly for weeks, day after day, every nap time and after the kiddos were in bed until at least 11/11:30 every night.  And let’s not forget that I have a three month old at home, so after heading to bed late in the day, I’d still be getting up two or three times during the night.  So I. was. exhausted.  I was running on empty by the end of last week, but I had to keep going.
The hubby wasn’t going to be home on Friday and I wanted his help, so we began setting up the canopies and tables late Thursday night (after the babes were asleep).  On Friday, Pamm from Fresh Eggs Antiques stopped by and dropped off a few of her large items and we discussed set up strategy and timing for Saturday morning.  

We also had the assistance of Lisa Sommers from Sommers Breeze Antiques.  Lisa is a vendor at Junk Bonanza so having her stop by to see what we had for inventory and confirm what we had come up with for our displays was a real treat.  Thank you again Lisa!

I kept working Friday night after everyone had left and after most of my house had gone to sleep.  By 11:30 that night, the hubby pulled the plug on me and made me go to sleep which was a good thing because I had to get up again by 4:30 a.m.  I literally fell on to the bed in my clothes.  I didn’t even take the time to take my shoes off.  I’m not joking.  Our three month old woke up at 3:30 so I never really slept after that.  The alarm went off at 4:30 and I was up and at it again.  With my coffee in hand, I greeted Pamm at the door and away we went.  Setting up furniture.  Placing an item here.  And there.  And again.  And again.  Until everything was out and properly displayed.  I was still pricing items right up until 9:00 am.  Then it was time to take the rope down and let everyone in.  It was awesome.  The hard work paid off.  Before I knew it it was noon and time for lunch.  We were so busy that the time just flew by!  We were able to take a break around lunchtime, which we all desperately needed, and then the after-lunch-rush came and didn’t stop again until we closed at 4:00 p.m..
The hubby ran the check-out all day (added up items, wrote receipts and even hauled items to vehicles).  He was a real trooper.  It was great to have him there because it was the first time he’s been present at one of my sales.  He’s usually the one taking care of the babes while I’m working, but my mother-in-law was able to come to watch the kiddos while we worked.  And my sister-in-law sold her incredible cupcakes during the sale, so it was a true family affair!!
My only regret about the day is the lack of pictures!  I planned on taking photos of what our driveway looked like as you were driving up the road (didn’t get one), a photo of our lawn signs leading the way to the sale (didn’t get one), photos of our items as they were rearranged throughout the day (didn’t get any).  I’m so bummed about that.  I was so tired and so busy that I failed to get many pictures.  Next time I need to write down a list of the photos I’d like and then delegate that task to someone other than me.  I, obviously, was not qualified to get it done that day.  Darnit!  But here is what I do have:
This was the display that greeted all of the customers as they walked in.
People kept asking if we were selling apples and where were the hayrides?!?!

Pamm and me right before we opened.
(The sewing drawers on the tables behind us were eventually filled with beautiful, green, dried hydrangea)

There was something for everyone at our sale!
Do you recognize the galvanized letter sorter on the table?
Yep, that’s the one I brought home from Junk Bonanza and it held all of the vintage flashcards in alphabetical order.
It was perfect!

KD Cakes sold her yummy cupcakes all day and they went like “hotcakes”, well, cupcakes, I guess :-)
I love this picture because you can see the people lining up to get in!
The hubby said approximately 300 people came through our sale on Saturday!
Cheryl and me – Cheryl has been a follower of my blog for quite awhile and
left her kitchen renovation projects at home so she could come to the sale and meet me.
Thank you SO much for coming out, Cheryl.  It was wonderful meeting you and chatting!

And then it was all over . . .

All of the shoppers had gone home and only a few pieces remained . . .

It truly was a remarkable day and successful in every way that it could have been – the weather was perfect, the set up went well, the shoppers were happy, Pamm and I worked well together, and we each left with less than what we came with.  Success!

The other good news is is that we have two more vendors who want to join us if we decide to do it again.  Can you believe it?  How cool is that?  I’m just blown away by all of this and, of course, we’re now considering doing it again in the Spring.  It really was a fun day and I’m so grateful to all of you for your encouraging words leading up to the sale, and for your continued support of this journey.  You guys are the best!!

By the way, while we were chatting, Cheryl said she was inspired by our kitchen and dining room to do her own kitchen.  I told her if she had any questions along the way, that I’m more than happy to help.  All she has to do is send me an email and I’ll help in any way that I can.  And I mean that for ALL OF YOU.  If you ever have any questions, I’m happy to help you.  If I don’t know the answer, then I’ll try to help you find it.  I don’t just want to talk at you all the time, I’d love to talk with you.  Please don’t hesitate to send me an email at anytime and we’ll figure things out together!

Thank you for reading!


P.S.  A big thank you to Pamm for accepting the invitation for the sale.  I had such a great time with you on Saturday!!  You were wonderful to work with and I look forward to maybe doing it again!

P.S.S. A big thank you to my sis-in-law for helping with various things that needed to be done to get ready for the big day.  I couldn’t have done it without your selfless help!



  1. How lovely! I’d come be a vendor too if it were close enough – I can’t even remember for sure where you live – even after mailing a package to you! How bad is that? Guess I’m getting old.

  2. Y’all had some wonderful stuff, and happy that it was a good SALE for ya.


  3. Laura! How wonderful everything looked!!! You did a fantastic job…wish I lived near you, there are many things in the pictures that I LOVE!! You are so talented…..

  4. I would just like to testify to any who didn’t make it to the sale that the real thing looked even more adorable than the photos, and that’s saying a lot. Plus, you didn’t LOOK sleep-deprived, which in itself is a huge win. It was a treat meeting your husband also.

    Back to my kitchen redo, which I hope I can finish up this coming weekend. I’m really tired of it’s war zone look.

  5. I loved your sale! I stumbled upon it while driving around looking for garage sales. I bought 2 small items and love them! I can’t wait for your spring sale!

  6. Oh my word…I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven if I had rolled up to your sale! Awesome Laura! Wished I lived closer…
    Stacey of Embracing Change

Speak Your Mind


three + 8 =